Saturday 10 November 2012

Topic 2. Arts and Crafts - A New Project!

It's been soooo so long since I've painted anything. Only two short years ago, I had aspirations of changing my career and becoming a professional illustrator. Aye, right! Unlikely! A sharp decrease in stress levels as I embarked upon my illustration "career" at college (saying a cheeky "smell ya later, bitch" to optometry - except on Saturdays) resulted in the unexpected conception of The Bairn, or Pip as he was then known. We'd been on the waiting list for IVF (a 22 month marathon in our health board area), and therefore absolutely amazed and delighted that this amazing, pip-sized little smidge had decided to take up residence in my uterus. Especially considering I had seemed uninhabitable to previous prospective tenants.

My new career became Mum, followed by Mum/optometrist (see, I did smell you later, optometry - and you smell exactly the same as you did before. Musty, with the occasional ammonia tinge of cyclopentolate).

I've seen a few things lately that made me think "Come on wummin! Get yer brushes oot, pencils sharpened and pinny on! You could be painting/drawing etc, instead of watching another episode of Dexter/Castle/Modern Family, you lazy little b*do." A couple of days ago though, I was feeling really miserable, and decided to drag the wee man out for a walk in the extremely cold Scottish sunshine. We took a saunter along the canal, which was so still every autumnal shade was reflected in it like a mirror. The fallen leaves were rustling under the buggy wheels, opulent green Mallards were quacking as they glided along the water and The Bairn was treated to his first field full of PROPER cattle, the black and white ones like his own stuffed toy. (Which, by the way, scares the living crap out of him when you squeeze it and it moos.)

Forth and Clyde Canal
So here's a beautiful photo I took with my mobile. How can anyone have an off-day with that on their doorstep? And today I TOOK ACTION. I went onto www.discountart.co.uk and bought 4 canvases, a few huge tubs of acrylic paint and some varnish. All thanks to PayPal, which is responsible for my first pay cheque from my proper job having practically disappeared 2 weeks into the month.

I'm going to do a split canvas for the wall above the fire in the living room.

As a split canvas photo print in this size was priced at £150.... Think I'll have a crack at it myself, lads.

No comments:

Post a Comment