Anyway, one day The Bairn was perusing one of the many second hand weaning type recipe books that my lovely friend VM passed down to me. She is a Domestic Goddess. Nigella can flip off, my mate VM is an old school, proper family cooking genius. 3 kids - the youngest is 2 1/2 - and WITHOUT THE AID OF FOOTMEN, BUTLERS, MAIDS OR HELPFUL ELVES, her home is a pristine, but fun and friendly place to be. I may move in someday.
As his chubby little chipolata handles carefully searched through the pages of
"Oh, The Bairn!" says I. "There's really no need to add vanilla essence. As a baby, you wouldn't understand, but it'll likely be delicious with this expensive item omitted."
"Ah Mummy. You are so clever, beautiful and simply divine. I trust in your every uttering" says The Bairn.
Creamy Egg Custard
Ingredients 1/4 pint of full fat milk 2 tsp castor sugar 2 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Heat milk - I used the microwave, full power 40 seconds.
- Beat together sugar and eggs til sugar dissolves.
- Whisk in hot milk and vanilla.
- Pour into ovenproof dish and bake for 30-40 minutes until set.
So there you go. In the book, it's in the 6-7 months section.