Sunday 19 August 2012

BoJo and PE



Well maybe old Tim O'Tei (aka BoJo (BawJaws? (aka Boris Johnson))) himself enjoyed partaking in 2 HOURS OF PE A DAY - but then he was probably skiing, fencing and 3 day eventing. Us normal ex-school kids were desperately trying to avoid the following:

1. Being picked last for rounders.

2. Having bras pinged, or general attention drawn to the chesticle area.

3. Getting knee-capped by fellow unskilled hockey stick wielders.

Cross country running was a different game entirely. It provided ample opporchancity to slyly share a sneaky cigarette with my fellow athletes under the bridge. And I always wondered why I was so puffed after that route that I felt like vomiting over my dour-faced PE teacher's Nikes.... Why, though, was cross country always scheduled for February? It was so cold I remember shivering in my oversized East 17 hoody, Man Utd beanie (I was a very early Beckham appreciator) and Air Max boots. We had to traverse an enormous expanse of cowpats interspersed with molehills. Would a school even obtain insurance for allowing pupils to face such dangers these days?

Seriously though, I want my son to have a much "healthier" attitude to sport. I'd like him to be first picked for rounders, please. Because he's good at it, and, more importantly, loves all the running about (is it called fielding? I think so). I hope he's confident enough not to be quaking in his little sand shoes every time it's his turn to bat the ball, as I was. And perhaps his teacher's enthusiasm for physical activity will be infectious - all the kids will have an awesome time, regardless of their ability.



2 comments: