Thursday 14 June 2012

Baby Cuisine - Hip Hip Purée!

I don't like to go on about it (LIE! I do and will, for quite some time, as I am extremely excited) but Baroness Annabel of Karmel tweeted me to say she liked my Fishy Pie recipe! I know, check out my bad self. On the ole Twitters AND new best friend of the Queen of Purée. In HRHs honour, I am now going to share with you some of my favourite fruit purée recipes. Not Annabel's - my own creations - but inspired by her Royal Genius. (FACTOID: Adding fruit to anything appears to make it palatable to the bambinorati. )


Now, The Bairn is getting on a bit - he's getting on for 8 months old - but I still blend some fruit to keep in the freezer for flavouring yogurts, baby rice etc. It's just too easy.

Pear and blueberry
  • Wash, peel and chop up the flesh of 2 ripe pears.
  • Wash a handful of blueberries.
  • Blend!
Apple strudel
  • Wash, peel and chop up the flesh of 2 ripe apples.
  • Pop into a pan, add a small amount of water or apple juice.
  • Add a handful of raisins, a pinch of cinnamon and ginger (or mixed spice is nice too).
  • Simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Blend!
Peach and raspberry
  • Open a tin of peaches in juice (not syrup), or peel a couple of ripe fresh peaches.
  • Empty half the tin into a pan (or steamer over your apple strudel).
  • Add a handful of raspberries - I use frozen ones.
  • Simmer or steam for 3-5 minutes. Tinned peaches are already really soft.
  • Blend!
Pop your various purées (or mashes if you prefer to) into freezer pots and defrost as required!
We use them stirred into full fat natural yoghurt, or make a stodgy pudding with thick baby rice made with full fat milk. Or they're great mixed into Weetabix or Ready Brek if you're out of fresh fruit. Or can't bother your lazy backside to chop up fruit and wipe down a chopping board first thing. Lazy git. You know who you are!
Aaaaah.... It's me, isn't it?
Oh, and WEAR A PINNY! Or risk becoming severely pebble-dashed. Although the tastiest pebble-dashing you've ever experienced.



No comments:

Post a Comment