Sunday 10 June 2012

Baby Cuisine - Turkey's Cheap!

It's seems aaaaages since I posted a recipe, and now I have a back"blog"(hohoho) of gorgeous, yummilicious meals to tell you about. I've been dying to get the ol' iPad out and tell you all about it. Now The Other Half is transfixed at the telly (Euro FitBaw), I'm no longer duty bound to sit on my rather rotund arse watching lots of TV in the evening.

Why does it seem there's a huge football tournament every couple of weeks? Even The Bairn was keeping his beady eyes on it before bed, while I was enjoying a particularly enthralling episode of the thrilling "In The Night Garden" on the iPlayer. I mean that, you know. It's not sarcasm. It was enthralling. And not only Makkapakka's BoobBum. The Pontypines had left their house!

Today's recipes. What can I say? I'm a cheapskate. I bought a pack of turkey mince because

  • It's cheap as chips
  • It's healthy (is it? I think it is...)
  • It's cheap.
So I made a batch of meals for the Urchin... I mean The Bairn.
Turkey Casserole

Ingredients

Handful (yuck! I hate touching meat - sad times) of turkey mince
The white end of a leek chopped finely
A carrot
Half a parsnip
A potato
Little pinch of herbes de Provence (hawheehaw)

  1. Fry leek in butter
  2. Stir in mince
  3. When cooked through, add carrot, potato and parsnip, chopped pretty small
  4. Stir in herbs
  5. Add water til just covered
  6. Bring to boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. (Steam broccoli/cauliflower over the top for finger food)
  7. Mash up
  8. Feed to starving baby!

Chilli Turkey
Ingredients

Handful of (you guessed it) turkey mince
Half an onion chopped finely
Half a clove of garlic
Spices - pinch each of cumin, paprika, chilli powder
Tomato purée
Half a yellow or red pepper
Half a small courgette
A tomato
Half a tin of chopped tomatoes

  1. Fry up onion and spices in olive oil
  2. Add mince
  3. When cooked add pepper chopped small, and tomato purée
  4. After 5 mins add finely chopped courgette and tomato
  5. After another 5 mins add tinned chopped toms, I also added a wee bit of water
  6. Boil, cover, then simmer for 20 minutes.
  7. Serve with pitta bread, tortillas (NOT the Doritos kind! Slight choking hazard :-O) or chapatti
Now I will say that both of these are delicious, as I always try it myself (hence afore-mentioned rotund arse), but you will never want to see turkey mince again in your life after making 10 batches of baby food from it. That's why my (for the grown ups) Spicy Thai Satay Turkey Burgers are not described here nor is the recipe given.

Too. Much. Turkey.

Hoobloodyray for CHOCOLATE!


No comments:

Post a Comment