Monday 30 July 2012

Baby Cuisine - Beginner's Curry

I am absolutely cream flipping crackered.

It's been one of those days when your body feels like it's been hiking through a Ben Nevis sized sand dune in the opposite direction to a hurricane. Wearing stilettos, and carrying an ironing board. Or three.

As usual, I have achieved practically nothing at all, although have barely left the kitchen sink all afternoon.



And this, alas, is what I have to show for it.

Is it just me? Or do all Mums struggle to keep on top of everything?

The Bairn was "settling in" at nursery today. My plan for this golden hour was as follows:

  1. Kettle on, cup of ACTUAL hot tea.
  2. Become one with sofa.
  3. Stick iPad on (ooooh! iPad. Check me out. )
  4. Watch remaining 45 minutes of the GLORIOUS BBC adaptation of Shakespeare's Henry IV Part 2, starring the ridiculously handsome and talented and magnificent and gorgeous and handsome Tom Hiddleston, on the iPlayer
How the hour actually transpired:



  1. Switch on kettle. No, don't actually, because THE BUTTON WON'T STAY DOWN.
  2. Pour glass of water, as forgotten there's no diluting juice left.
  3. Become one with sofa.
  4. Stick iPad on.
  5. WHAT. THE. F....AAAAARGH! The evil Beeb has obviously decided that I do not wish to complete my viewing as ALL OF THE SHAKESPEARE STUFF HAS GONE.
  6. Tears merge into glass of tap water forming equilibrium state of sadnes and blandness combined.
  7. Wash some dishes.
  8. Collect The Bairn.
Better still, when I turn up at the nursery, my son - my own flesh and blood - hears my voice and immediately let's out a blood curdling scream. Clearly my name will now be placed on a list of nasty ogre mummies whose children hate them.

One thing I did do without ballsing it up was make my wee cherub a delicious, very mild curry.

Here it is...



Ingredients


Chicken breast diced finely
Teaspoon of curry seasoning powder
Half a green bell pepper, chopped finely
Tablespoon of finely chopped spinach
Third of a tin of chopped tomatoes
Tablespoon of full fat natural yoghurt
Tablespoon of tropical fruit juice (or fruit purée)

  1. Fry up chicken in olive oil.
  2. When cooked through add green pepper.
  3. After a few minutes (pepper getting soft) add seasoning and stir for few more minutes.
  4. Pour over tomatoes, juice and spinach.
  5. After 5 minutes stir in yoghurt then remove from heat. (I also stirred in some microwaved white rice).
  6. Serve with mini naan bread.
I used the juice from a tub of pre-chopped tropical fruit (a Del Monte thing) with pineapple, mango and papaya in it. The wee man enjoyed eating the fruit pieces with his fingers for snack age, and I puréed some to stir into yoghurt, which he loved too. The lazy option, but I can barely manage keeping the blimmin work top clear, so chopped hunners of fruit up just AIN'T HAPPENING.




The little monkey was so happy with his curry, I nearly forgot I was in a huff with him for making me look like he hated my guts at nursery.

No comments:

Post a Comment